Learn what you can do so there is No More Gap
Donate university and post-secondary lanyards to carry students' “Keys to the Future”
DONATE LANYARDS TODAY
Each One Teach One emerged from Mary Ann's 34 years of teaching experience and is grounded in a few powerful professional resources.
- My Call to Action
- Theory of Teaching and Learning that Underlies Each One Teach One
- Need for Repetition
- Previous Books Co-authored by Mary Ann Bash
- Other Interesting Vocabulary and Language Resources
If it's possible to identify by age 3 that a child will struggle in 3rd grade, can't we commit to making sure that doesn't happen?
- Hart Betty and Todd R. Risley, Meaningful Differences in the Everyday Experience of Young American Children, Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co, Baltimore, Maryland, 1995.
- Hart, Betty and Todd R. Risley, “The Early Catastrophe,” American Educator, Spring 2003, pg. 4–9.
Vygotsky's “Zone of Proximal Development” taught me to always lead children's development so I never leave them at the same level of understanding as when they came for their lesson. In Each One Teach One lessons, we quickly find out what the child already knows and teach them new words.
- Vygotsky, Lev, Thought and Language, Boston: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1986.
In our classrooms, we often move at too quick a pace for students to understand the new learning. I learned about the extraordinary number of repetitions required for new learning and the power in their accomplishment by studying Shinichi Suzuki's method for teaching violin to young children.
- Suzuki, Shinichi, Nurtured by Love: The Classic Approach to Talent Education, Smithtown, NY: Exposition Press, 1983.
Early in my teaching career, I used the work of Lev Vygotsky (above) and Donald Meichenbaum to develop a language-based intervention for impulsive and aggressive children. The curriculum taught primary age children to use self-talk to help them focus their attention and to become more deliberate in both academic tasks and in social situations. The technique produced such positive results for children that classroom teachers asked for curriculum to use with whole classrooms of children.
- Meichenbaum, Donald, Cognitive-Behavior Modification: An Integrative Approach, New York: Plenum Press, 1977.
- Bash, Mary Ann S. and Bonnie W. Camp, Think Aloud: Increasing Social and Cognitive Skills—A Problem-Solving Program for Children—Grades 3–4 , Champaign, IL: Research Press, 1985.
- Bash, Mary Ann S. and Bonnie W. Camp, Think Aloud: Increasing Social and Cognitive Skills—A Problem-Solving Program for Children—Grades 5–6 , Champaign, IL: Research Press, 1985.
- Camp, Bonnie W. and Mary Ann S. Bash, Think Aloud: Increasing Social and Cognitive Skills—A Problem-Solving Program for Children—Grades 1–2 , Champaign, IL: Research Press, 1985.
- Camp, Bonnie W. and Mary Ann S. Bash, Think Aloud: Increasing Social and Cognitive Skills—A Problem-Solving Program for Children—Grades Primary Level , Champaign, IL: Research Press, 1985.
I like to use Isabel Beck, et. al.'s concept of Tier 2 words when I explain Each One Teach One. I use the data from Gilkerson and Richards' work to provide a revised estimate of the gap between children whose homes provide lots of language and those where language interactions are much more limited. The Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test is one of several measures I use to monitor students' growth.
- Thoughts about the NELP report from Laura Westberg, Laura Westberg's Blog, www.famlit.org/node/930.
- Beck, Isabel L., McKeown, Margaret G., and Kucan, Linda, Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction, NY: The Guilford Press, 2002.
- Gilkerson, Jill and Richards, Jeffrey, The Power of Talk: Adult Talk and Conversational Turns During the Critical 0–3 Years of Child Development, Boulder, CO: Infoture, Inc. Technical Paper, 2007.
- Lena Baby language processor, Lena Foundation, Boulder, Colorado, www.lenababy.com.
- Moats, Louisa C., Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling (LETRS) Module 4: The Mighty Word: Building Vocabulary and Oral Language, Sopris West Educational Services: Longmont, CO, pg. 11.
- Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test, Fourth Edition (PPVT4), Pearson Assessments, Minneapolis, Minnesota, www.PearsonAssessments.com.